Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Why are Some People Atheists?

"Steve’s final words, hours earlier, were monosyllables, repeated three times.
Before embarking, he’d looked at his sister Patty, then for a long time at his children, then at his life’s partner, Laurene, and then over their shoulders past them.
Steve’s final words were:
OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW." 
From Steve Jobs' eulogy, written by his sister Mona Simpson. Published in the New York Times


Comic by Matt Bors at http://mattbors.com/
While during his life, Steve Jobs may have flip flopped between atheism and believing in God; he undoubtedly saw something amazing as his consciousness was leaving his body. What do you think he saw?
Humanity has studied, forced on others and experienced God during most of its existence. You have the "highly rational" atheists on one side and the highly religious on the other. I fall somewhere in the spiritual end of it. While I'm not into forcing my opinion on what I think about all of this; I will slightly push my thoughts on you with this piece...because I can and if you're reading this far; you may be hooked.
I am not an atheist;  but I can respect why some may be not believe in God or an afterlife: religion has been more than a little twisted throughout the times. I'm talking about all religion. If we all subscribe to much of what the religionists believe in, it means that God don't want us to dance, have much sex (not just premarital sex), women can't wear pants, some religious sects must take chances with snakes biting their asses, can't have any alcoholic drink, God must get your money (at least 10%) in order to "please" Him, etc, etc, ad nauseum. You can live right according to the religion rules, you're not making God "jealous" by worshiping Buddha statues, or crosses/ crucifixes (um, oops), you're paying your tithes, you're only singing and listening to a "joyful noise", you attend church regularly; and then you're taught about Armageddon, which frightens the collective crap out of most people. You hear about the "end of the world through fire. You read about some locusts and diseases. My kid mind would ask, what's up with the God thing? He seems bent on controlling too much of what He built in us naturally, He's jealous (which is scary when any creator of the universe is jealous, because I know how bad it could get when an old girlfriend is jealous...not good), He likes tearing up stuff, even when we're doing okay with following most of his rules... and then He ultimately can't and don't control an angel who was a part of His crew;  one who eventually starts his own realm and crew. But he only likes the really bad people on earth.
It can be hard for someone with a logical mind and who's intrinsically good and tend to take responsibility for their own actions; to absorb this and believe it wholeheartedly. Someone reading this, just made a connection...that maybe religion can help assist some people in becoming atheist.  Understand that I believe that religion is great and needed. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a world totally devoid of religion. I just believe that the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle of all this. I don't see or feel God as much in a church; but see and feel Her when I'm at the beach or in the mountains. Just as hundreds of people were inspired by God when they wrote various poems, stories and those words were put together and made into the bible; I feel just as much that the words that I've sprayed out of my head and put into this blog; are inspired by God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment